- Employer Direzione Generale Trasporto Pubblico Locale - Gestione Governativa Ferrovia Circumetnea
- Country Italy
- Sector transport, railways and subways
- Area Sicilia, Provincia di Catania, Catania
- Contract value € 58,900,000 (2017 Annual Report)
- Locality Catania, Piazza San Domenico, 6
- Status ongoing
- Latitude 37.507877
- Longitude 15.08303
The project for the Stesicoro-Airport stretch is part of the plan for the upgrading and conversion of the railway line initiated by the Ferrovia Circumetnea railway in order to gradually convert the current narrow gauge line into a standard gauge electrified line. More specifically, the Stesicoro-Airport stretch will connect Catania city center to the Fontanarossa airport, also allowing for the connection with other means of transport.
The first Lot, in particular, includes:
· Construction of a 2,177 m-long tunnel.
· Construction of the S. Domenico, Vittorio Emanuele, and Palestro stations tunnels.
· Construction of 7 ventilation openings.
Underground excavation works will be carried out using a Tbm.